Expository Essay: Is College Worth It | Example and Tips
Now, all people around are saying that without education you can not succeed in life – let’s check whether this is true or not? It is clear to everyone that the minimum is to finish school, preferably high school. But after school, you can go to study to the university or college. This is what we are going to discuss now. Why? Firstly, higher education is a very popular topic that interests many, and secondly, the college takes a lot of time and we need to decide whether to spend 5 years on college or not.
Everyone knows what education is, but for more information we turn to the internet. A bit of theory, if you do not mind.
Theoretically, education opens the door to adulthood. It turns out that after graduation you are almost an adult, but not quite yet. As you graduated from school, you can already go to work and earn in some cases not bad money, it all depends on your knowledge and skills. But all around talking about the need for higher education. What does it give us? In theory, the university provides us with high-quality knowledge. Here, it also depends on the level of accreditation of the university or college itself. They also offer several forms of training, the most common:
By attendance of the university:
- Daily (attend university almost every day, depending on the schedule)
- Correspondence (Come only occasionally – before the session several times and per year)
- Online (get education with the help of internet)
By the term of training:
- 4 years of study – you get a bachelor’s degree
- 5-6 years of study – Master’s degree
- next step – PhD (for those who want to be a scientist, teacher, etc.)
And in the end, at the end of the university you will receive a diploma, which is your key to life! (I remind you that this is only in theory). What do we have in the end?
The practice is very different from the theory, which is not surprising at all. As elsewhere, universities have their own problems, here is a list of the most common:
- Not a thorough education system
And now let’s talk about each in more detail.
Not a thorough education system. Unfortunately, our teachers, rectors, deans, often have little experience in their work, although there are real professionals, but so far there are few of them. The problem of the state is that they cannot make a clear structure of the training plan. When choosing college for studying, you need to pay attention and explore what particular education plan they use for your training. Choose the college by particular course, not by name, as it can be very good in training one particular professionals. The result is disagreement, discontent, which leads to problems. There is no clear, planned, organized training scheme. Little practice, which is very important for a good specialist.
Corruption in high school is another problem. This is now discussed on the radio, and in programs on television, everybody know about this problem. But it is in high schools that this problem is exacerbated. How to cope with it and whether it is necessary is a separate conversation, which we will talk about later. But the fact is a fact – the problem is very strong!
Access to higher education is the problem number three. A university is not a cheap activity, if you failed for various reasons to get a scholarship or a grant, then the contract form of education will cost you a rather big penny! After all, it costs from one to several thousand dollars per year, which you will agree, not a little, considering that with full-time education, you will have very little time to work. Getting a scholarship or grant is not easy. In addition, you just need to have a high level of knowledge, even this is not enough. Recently, for greater benefits, universities reduce the number of scholarships and do many different things that force a person to pay for studying. Recently, higher education is influenced by money and power.
Efficiency of the college education. What is it? And now the main problem is the utility of universities and is it a reasonable waste of time? As practice shows, the efficiency of higher education is less than 50%. And most explain this by the fact that there is no practice while theoretical studies. College and university gives a large volume of information, but it is all theoretical. Unfortunately, our universities allocate little time for practical training, and without practice, you yourself know what is difficult. So it turns out later that after college, people go to work for 10-12 thousand dollars, because they have no practical knowledge that is most valuable. It takes several years to gain experience, and then there will be a chance for a decent work. But just think how much time it will take!
Approximately 15 years ago, people with higher education were very highly valued by both employers and society. No one doubted the ability of people with higher education, it was believed that if a person has it, he is a specialist of the highest level. At that time, only two categories of people could get higher education: smart and rich. What is happening now is very sad! Today, higher education is disvalued! Now, probably, only the lazy man himself does not have it. Everybody can enroll in a university on a paid basis!
People try to get a diploma, thinking that having received it, they will be easily accepted to work and will be highly appreciated and respected. But in reality everything turns out differently. In the modern labor market, there is a huge shortage of people in such specialties as builder, salesman, cashier, worker, electrician, plumber, and so on. While almost all have diplomas of economists, accountants, teachers, managers, lawyers.
Therefore, now there are teachers sitting behind the cash registers of the stores, lawyers are making roads, and economists are selling bags on the streets. So why do you need to get a higher education? In the end, to work in the position that is claimed, and not which is necessary for you?
Do I need a higher education? Reasons for not getting it:
- Unilateral training programs. In modern universities, there is a huge number of disciplines that are absolutely not needed by any specialist. Further under the program, it is necessary to study all these disciplines for five or six years, and only two or three times to apply this knowledge in practice, which does not always reflect all aspects of future activities. As a result, coming to work we have to forget everything that we diligently studied in the university and re-learn, but already a specific job.
- The quality of teaching. I will not reveal to you a big secret, but in almost all universities, half of the teachers at college are not interested in their work and you as a student. So, they just hurry up to read the required material to you and leave. This is certainly good for those who came specifically for a diploma, but what should those who come for knowledge do?
- The number of higher education institutions. For several years, a huge number of commercial institutions have appeared. Passing scores there are low, and the quality of training is appropriate. And teachers, where to get such a number of highly qualified teachers to fill all the vacancies of all universities?
- No one guarantees employment. The presence of a diploma of higher education does not guarantee quick and successful employment. Most companies are aware of the quality of modern education. They would rather prefer a specialist without a higher education, but with work experience than a former student with a diploma and an “empty head”!
My conclusion is simple – unfortunately, higher education is not yet at the level to give it 5 years of my life (which is 43,800 hours !!!). Now, higher education has significance only in the diploma as a document. I came to this conclusion: it is better to go to work and gain experience, which is very valuable, to become a specialist in your field, a real expert. What about education? I can take part time schedule or attend professional courses. In the future, with my experience it will give me much more opportunities than without it (experience). College gives good is life experience. Here you will learn life. Learn how to find a way out of different situations, gain experience in communication and contact with people, which is also important, but that you can also learn at work. I have stopped my attention only on the negative sides of the modern higher education, though there is a big list of positive ones. I am sure that you are aware of those and there is no need to repeat them once again. I shared my position.