How to Write Compare and Contrast Essay
The concept of “comparative review” may often be regarded as quite terrifying by students. This is because, at first, it may strike you as a highly complex process. However, the reality is that this variety of essay is in fact pretty simple. The only thing that is required of you is to compare and contrast 2 different notions, which is a very common exercise of thought. When writing a compare and contrast essay, you can opt for using the five-paragraph outline. This is the most common essay format, as it’s utilized in a large variety of university courses. This type of structure works great for contrasting and comparing distinct principles, perspectives, topics, etc.
Compare and Contrast Essay: Popular Topics
- The 1970s vs. the 1980s.
- Vladimir Lenin vs. Mao Zedong
- Creationism vs. Evolutionism
- Primary School vs. Secondary School
- Samsung vs. Apple
As expected, these are solely a couple of popular instances of compare and contrast essay topics. Throughout your study years, your professors may ask you to hand in essays on plenty of other subjects.
As a matter of fact, the outline of a comparison and contrast essay is quite original, as a result of its non-straightforward trajectory. In general, five-paragraph papers consist of an introduction, 3 body paragraphs, and a conclusion. Nevertheless, when writing a comparison and contrast essay, you have the liberty of writing either 4 or 5 paragraphs. The number of paragraphs varies in conformity with the format you choose. In other words, you are free to write 2 or 3 body paragraphs. Depending on your choice, you need to use one of the outlines presented below.
2 Body Paragraphs
- Similitudes vs. Distinctions
- In the first body paragraph, you need to present the similitudes between the 2 topics.
- In the second body paragraph, you need to present the distinctions between the 2 topics.
- Topic A > Topic B
- In the first paragraph, you need to deal with Topic A. Afterwards, you have to provide the entirety of knowledge and research on Topic B.
- In the second paragraph, you need to deal with Topic B. Afterwards, you have to provide the whole of your knowledge and research on Topic B.
As a rule, in case you want to be extremely straightforward or you’re simply striving to finalize your paper promptly and efficaciously, you ought to opt for this technique. However, if you still have plenty of time until the deadline, take a look at what the 3-body paragraph style implies, as this method is more expressive and compelling.
3 Body Paragraphs
This format is also known as the issue to issue style. When using this style, you need to approach a distinct issue in each paragraph. Moreover, you are required to either present an analogy or a contrast of the issue between the two subjects. This style has the following format:
- Issue 1: Issue 1 is utilized to provide either a comparison or a contrast of Subject 1 and Subject 2
- Issue 2: Issue 2 is used to provide either a comparison or a contrast of Subject 1 and Subject 2
- Issue 3: Issue 3 is utilized to provide either a comparison or a contrast of Subject 1 and Subject 2
A compare and contrast essay needs to display a certain degree of diversification. So, you should do more than solely comparing the 2 topics using 3 separate issues. At least one of your main body paragraphs should present a contrast.
Perhaps the best recommendation we can give you is to postpone work on the introduction and conclusion until after you’ve finalized the rest of the essay. It goes without saying that the introduction should be at the beginning and the conclusion at the end of your essay. However, no one forces you to stick to the same order when working on the essay. The majority of students prefer working on the thesis assertions after completing the other sections. In other words, write your essay in the following order: body paragraphs, introduction, conclusion.
In similar fashion to the style of the essay itself, the tutorial should be devised to copy it, to adequately meet the requirements. If you have no idea how to commence writing this type of paper, you ought to resort to the common hook procedure. Next, you have to talk about the themes of comparison. Use few words for this. Keep in mind once you’ve completed the body paragraphs you should come up with your remarkable thesis assertion.
As a rule, the outline of your thesis should be the same as the one used when writing five-paragraph essays, the only difference being that the thesis of a compare and contrast essay can also approach the comparison topics. For instance, when writing a compare and contrast essay on two movies, you could use the following topics of comparison: length, acting, and genre. All of these 3 subjects need to be indicated in your thesis.
Obviously, the final section of your essay is the conclusion. The conclusion of a compare and contrast essay is basically identical to that of a five-paragraph essay, as it involves the same stages: reaffirming the thesis, recapping the fundamental notions and devising a generic conclusive phrase.
At this point, you know how the format of your essay should look like, so we’ll proceed by offering you some valuable advice.
- Don’t use crystal clear comparisons. If your concepts are unpredictable, your audience will be more absorbed.
- Use comparative speech. To enhance the aspect and coherence, utilize terms such as yet or alternatively when contrasting and terms such as analogously or correspondingly when comparing.
- Employ Venn Diagrams. Venn Diagrams are useful for both augmenting the optical appeal and discovering new similarities and distinctions.
Put Your Knowledge to Good Use!
To bring about the conclusion of our article, we’ll compare and contrast purchasing a paper online to completing it without any help. Sure, no matter which solution you choose, you’ll still get a completed paper. However, here at EssayWriters.us, our professional essay writers have a better shot at delivering a state-of-the-art compare and contrast essay. If you work on the paper yourself, you could become tired in addition to wasting your free time. If you think about it this way, the obvious solution is to purchase a paper here for a highly inexpensive fee. Talk to us and tell us what you need!